It’s been quite a journey for SOPHIA’S CHOICE, a new not-for-profit that I founded less than a year ago together with a group of very committed local and international Board members who share my vision to:
1. Promote greater understanding and awareness of Asian culture via film
2. Foster commercial opportunities between our local and Asian film communities
3. Further enrich Chicago as a tourist and cultural destination for international visitors
Tonight we are wrapping up a very successful 1st season which includes:
1. 600 new subscribers
2. 30 Chicago-based community partners supporting us representing many different Asian countries and communities
3. Collaboration with Asian studies departments from Chicago’s own Ivy League universities, who have followed and supported the launch of Asian Pop-Up Cinema
4. Numerous media interviews and endorsements, including tonight’s event that was featured in Crain’s as a “top pick”.
5. Most importantly…welcoming hundreds of viewers who enjoyed the wonderful stories portrayed by our Asian filmmakers and participated post screening learnings and discussions led by Ron Falzone, a film and media studies professor at Columbia College in Chicago
Sophia’s Choice would not have been able to achieve so much so quickly without all of you. We need your continuous support in any way you can to sustain this new course. Please click here to make a donation!
We will be announcing our Spring Pop-Up program after the New Year and look forward to seeing you at the movies!
Sophia Wong Boccio
Founder & Executive Director